Tuesday, April 20, 2010

La Maldita Vecindad from a white girls perspective.

By Sindy Lagunas and E. C. Girls

I was excited to hear that one of my favorite Mexican rock bands, La Maldita Vecindad, would be playing at the House of Blues.

NAME: La Maldita Vecindad y los Hijos del 5to Patio (The damned neighborhood and the son's of the fifth patio.)

BIRTHDATE: Mexico City 1985

SOUNDS LIKE: Rock, Ska, and a bit of Mexican bolero.

WARDROBE: Pachuco ALL ABOUT: Adventures, dilemmas, delivering a positive message of peace and improvement in all societies. This was definitely one of the craziest Latin shows i have attended in a while. The energy was loud and the audience was eager to hear them play. It was around song #3 that Shannon and Mary found me, I must admit that i was nervous to invite them. I wasn't sure if they would like it or how they would react to the guys in Mexican wrestling masks and the loud aggressive girls. When i turned and saw them having a killer time all my worries melted away and went back to the screaming and dancing like the other nuts.

In between songs the singer would say a couple positive words, mostly about peace on earth, unity, and the best of all, "STOP THE VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN"

I left the House of Blues soaked in beer, sore form all the pushing, and filled with great vibes from the people

Mary:

Knowing absolutely nothing about the band i was about to see other than Sindy mentioning that we should review it for the blog,  I finally entered the main concert hall after a mazeof halls and elevators leading form the plush and over the top Foundation Room  at the House of Blues.

The confusing and somewhat questionable route to getting to my destination made me feel as though i was going further down the rabbit hole, one step behind Alice herself.
Once the last door opened i Could hear the crowd, sense the energy of the fans as the rhythmic sounds of the aforementioned band ingested my being. I walked into a large performance space and was at once seized by th "Malditas" energys and endorphins. As i tried to ignore the energetic rotation of the mosh pit (yes, I said mosh pit!) in front of the stage i noticed the singer. He was jumping into the air, and skanking hard core, fueling an already ecstatic audience.

I was enchanted. I scanned the stage more carefully. The singer was wearing a wife beater with wide hanging trousers akin to the zoot suit style of the 20's, all whilst dancing up a storm in a pair of black and white tipped shoes. Near by the saxophonist played his part invigorating us with his sax solo riffs while clad in long black trench coat matching his long black hair.
These guys were stylish, musically trained and knew how to pout on a performance while having fun themselves. The band also consisted of a trumpet player, keyboard player, bassist and lead guitarist. The upbeat Latin ska style melody fed the hungry crowd and kept them going.

Upon finding Sindy standing center stage with her camera, Shannon and i joined in the fun. We were located directly between the stage and the mosh pit, our elbows only protecting us from the wave of equally if not more enchanted crowd going crazy. What a show!!! Crowd-surfing ensued the entire time as well as the rain of water and beer that was being thrown across the crowd. We danced, we cheered, we skanked and clapped our hands in the air as though possessed by a spell. I saw the largest man ever get carried by the crowd to the stage to the humorous dismay of the stage bouncers who caught all the crowd-surfers. The look on the fatty's face was of sheer accomplishment and disbelief. More than a few guys were sporting Mexican wrestling masks sans shirts, bringing to mind Jack Black in Nacho Libre thus adding to the hilarity of this sweaty and outrageous wonderland.
As i left the show, my clothes drenched in sweat and beer, my left elbow slightly skinned, my hair matted to my face, i couldn't help but feel as though i had truly been wonderful.

Shannon Pipper:

There's nothingn that i love more than my city, but music trumps Montrose and sometimes that means venturing out into the unknown... downtown. The Maldita had a message and i heard it loud and clear, streaming through the speakers, straight into my heart.
Music is love. Love is universal.

My kitchen Spanish is quite pathetic and it barely gets me through a work day. Needless to say, i probably only understood six words during the whole show and one of them was "Houston". That didn't seem to matter. I understood the passion that the lead singer spoke with. I felt his heart beat as he spoke between songs to the crowd who got louder and louder with every word he said. I understood the music because it knows no ethnicity, embracing anyone who will reciprocate the emotion.

Would i go back? Heck yess! i would and you guys are coming with me. After the show, our praises continue. We have told everyone and anyone about the show. The bruises i proudly sported for days have faded, leaving no proof of how we let go and got swallowed up by the Maldita Madness.

Source http://ecmontrosegirls.blogspot.com/ thanks to Shannon, Sindy and Mary. Y'all rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment